Monday, February 21, 2011

Suffering Through Winter

It is so cold here right now that five minutes outside will freeze your cheeks and lips and make you wish you were back inside. Sure, you say, this is normal for February...in Ukraine or in Wisconsin, my most recent American domicile. But I still don't like it much!

I have said for a long time that people who knew better never would live in the Midwest--cold winters, hot, humid summers, and oh-so-short spring and fall. But I moved halfway around the world just so I could experience the same thing in Eastern Europe. So who's the idiot now?

And thus, we know why people live in climates which are below optimal for habitat. Family. Friends. Love. Companionship. So I sit inside on a cold February day, waiting for my love to come home, thinking of my kids in the cold of Wisconsin, and hoping for a day when we are all together, basking in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment